When it comes to eating out, there are always ways to be mindful and choose wisely so that your weekly meal while eating out will not sabotage all the efforts you make to stay healthy.
Here are 4 healthy tips on deciding what to order while eating out
Whenever possible, choose a dish that includes vegetables. For example, stir-fries, salads, vegetarian pizzas.
2. Healthier side dishes
Choose healthier sides such as steamed vegetables or a side salad instead of garlic bread, spring rolls or prawn crackers.
3. Lower calories
If you are getting takeaway instead of eating at a restaurant, you could order a lower calorie side dish and combine it with vegetables at home to make a complete meal. For example, the chicken kickers at Dominos is only about 50 calories, it could be combined with a fresh salad (that consists of a cucumber, feta, red onion, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, olive oil and lemon juice).
4. Customising meals
Choose restaurants where you can customise your meal by picking the ingredients. For example, an oven roasted 6 inch chicken sub from Subway could consist of 9 grain whole wheat bread with all the vegetables or as many as possible while omitting cheese and dressing. This choice will be a low calorie, low saturated fat and low sodium option.
Examples of lower calorie and lower saturated fat options while eating out are:
- Spicy veg trio from Dominos
- Snack chicken wrap from Mcdonalds
- Thai beef salad
- Stir fries
- Vegetarian dumplings
- Salmon and cucumber roll
- Shrimp sushi roll
- Vegetable sushi roll
Examples on how to control portions while eating out or getting takeaway are:
- Having a healthy snack at home before eating out: this could be a tub of yoghurt, a muesli bar such as go natural or be natural, a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts.
- Using a smaller plate if possible. If you are eating at home, empty your food from the container onto a smaller plate.
- Sharing your meals with others and having a side salad to increase your intake of vegetables.
- Skipping the entree as they can add a couple of extra calories and saturated fat.
Contact us for results focused on nutritional advice
This article was written by our dietitian and nutritionist Juhi Bhambhaney. If you have any questions regarding health and nutrition, make an appointment with one of our dietitians. We‘ll provide you with a simple and effective routine targeted to your concerns. Contact us today.
The post 4 Healthy tips on deciding what to order while eating out appeared first on ENT Wellbeing Sydney.