In a previous blog, I reviewed the Spalding program for literacy. This teaching method has been used successfully for half a decade and is very effective for students that struggle to read and write. The traditional method is excellent for older students that have greater levels of concentration. However it can be somewhat dry and unengaging when used with younger children, especially those with dyslexia or struggle with working memory and concentration. I have recently come across the Nessy resources, which use similar rules and principals to the traditional Spalding program in a fun and interactive way.
The programme incorporates a number of different techniques to ensure that literacy is fun and engaging including.
Features of the Nessy Learning Programme
- Colourful and engaging animated videos with memorable stories and characters around the letters and letter groups. Each video links back to worksheets, games and activities, which incorporate the characters within the videos.
- Fun games that incorporate the different rules and strategies that make literacy learning enjoyable and easier to learn. The games can be played as one player such puzzles that require the student to fit the pieces of the word together or multiplayer such as card games that can be played with others.
- Different levels specifically targeting students with a range of skills. This ensures that each student is working at the right level and is able to achieve some success while still being challenged to learn new information. There are even tasks for those learners that struggle with sounding out basic, high frequency words like ‘on’ and ‘at’ so that success can be achieved even for very early readers.
- Worksheets that incorporate well known and functional games such as cross words and find a word puzzles as well as true or false puzzles.
- As students progress through the program and complete tasks, they unlock new games, characters and magical worlds to continue their literacy adventure.
Nessy – Help for Children With Dyslexia
The Nessy Learning Programme is an interactive, multi-media computer program, that enables students who have difficulties with dyslexia to write and spell with confidence. Nessy believes that if children have fun then learning becomes more memorable. Where children play games the increased level of engagement leads to dramatic improvements. Combine this philosophy with a structured, incremental system of learning and you can see the reason why academic results show such dramatic gains.
Contact us for results focused speech therapy
This article was written by our Speech Pathologist Ashleigh Fattah who is a Speech Pathology Australia member. If you have difficulties with dyslexia, make an appointment. We‘ll provide you with simple and effective therapy targeted to your concerns. Contact us today.
The post Resource Review – Nessy Learning Programme and Resources appeared first on ENT Wellbeing Sydney.